MapHub Classic map needs an update

hello there, I love maphub and i have created many amazing maps with it,
however the classic map is not accurate in many major cities, the example in the pic is Dubai the Dubai creek somehow does not meet the ocean, I’ve included openstreetmap and google maps to compare
perhaps the classic map is in need for an update
thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rami,

I totally agree! The MapHub Classic is in dire need of an update. I’m just not doing it because I’ll introduce new Vector maps for MapHub, which means a totally different architecture on the server side. But I’m working on it, it’s just a bigger task.

5 Likes

I understand,
for now I have this problem, I am creating a map for cycle lanes in Dubai to help tourists and expatriates locate and use these tracks. the maphub classic basemap is very old as shown earlier and is very misleading, the other available basemaps appear to be more accurate but they show the street names in arabic only (not in english), which 90% of the people in Dubai can not read
any suggestions, or workarounds ?
thank you for your support :slight_smile:

1 Like

A brand new MapHub basemap is coming, it just takes some more time! So you’d like to have always English labels, not local language ones?

2 Likes

yes exactly, i want english labels, no local language ones… and the only basemap that does that at the moment is the MapHub classic and its out dated,
in Dubai case, the official local language is Arabic, but 80% of the population of can not read Arabic,

1 Like

thanks for the awesome information..

any updates on this issue :slight_smile: ?

I’ve just deployed the latest version of the new maps, I’ll add the new basemaps in the next days!

1 Like

great, thank you, can’t wait !

hi Zsolt, the basemaps do not look like they have been updated yet right, or did i miss anything ?!

Hi Rami,

I’ve just launched the first 2 styles of the brand new MapHub basemaps. Have a look and tell me how you like it!

Those look great! thank you Zsolt, that solved all my problems, great work! can’t wait for the remaining styles! cheers

Hello. I like how the new maps look and that they are now more precise, but why are cities in Belarus labeled in Russian rather than Belarusian? Similar thing with Kazakhstan’s regions, which are written in Russian, but not Kazakh (for example, Карагандинская область instead of Қарағанды облысы). English names for Belarusian regions are also a mixture of Belarusian and Russian, which is rather strange (for example Mahilyow Voblasts is labeled as “Mahilyow Region”, while Hrodna Voblasts is labeled as “Grodno Region”).
In addition to that, Ukraine’s Zhytomyr Oblast and Kirovohrad Oblast are labeled incorrectly (as Zhitomir Oblast and Kirovograd Oblast).

I noticed that the label language changes between the new classic and earth theme, so try the earth theme maybe that would solve ur issue

The names stay the same.

Hi, the great news is that the new basemaps are vector based, this means you’ll be able to change the labels as you wish. Right now I choose the default to be

international
non-latin

format. But in the future you can change it as you wish, for example you can say you prefer a German name on top with a Japanese ones below.

If it’s not urgent, please wait for this update, then you can customise those names 100% as you wish.

1 Like

That’s great but I don’t see how that could fix the last two problems I described, because they are mistranslations to English. Will these also be possible to fix?

Can you check the following page for the source data?

https://maputnik.github.io/editor/#5.21/51.665/32.196

From the top select Inspect and then hover over the mouse on one of the small red dots, those are the labels:

For example for Zhytomyr Oblast I made this screenshot:

Can you see something in the list which is what you’d need?

Yes, the English captions there say “Zhytomyr Oblast” and “Kirovohrad Oblast”.

I mean do you see any language which shows is correctly?