The fate of the uploaded images

Hi, sir)

Where does the uploaded images are kept?

1. I want to make a backup of all the images I’ve uploaded to the map — how can I do it?
  2. In case I delete a point with a photo — do you keep it somewhere or delete it?

Sometimes I create a map and pass it to a client — and i want to be sure, that the initial phase being kept safely

— I.

Hi Igor,

These are valid questions! The images are stored locally on the MapHub server. They are not uploaded to any 3rd party service.

When you delete them, they get scheduled for deletion and after a few days they will get removed from the server.

Now, getting an archive .zip file with all images isn’t simple, but I think it’s reasonable feature request and I’ll work making this feature.

understand. thanks

I totally dont know how it could be done and my best guess is that it might be complicated, but in the future it should be a good thing if there was an option to download a package as KMZ that includes:

• Kml file with all items
  • Icons/custom icons and pictures in a folder

On top of my dream the kml should be able to read from the folder so that both icons and pictures will work if you use the kmz file in an app like Locus Map, POIViewer, etc.
Two things would be achieved with this way, easy backup and a file that works perfectly in other apps when you do not have access to internet

best regards Jocke

Hi Jocke, the problem with KML is that it’s actually not really a standard. Originally I’ve spent a full month developing the KML import, as every desktop application / website / mobile app uses KML in a totally different way. After that, I’ve worked a lot on improving KML and making sure that more and more apps are supported. I believe that today maybe MapHub has the most compatible KML importer of all mapping apps.

Now, to export KML with images and icons, it’d be equally difficult, and it’d only work with one application. Say with a lot of work I could make it work in Google Earth, but Locus Map, POIViewer, etc. all wouldn’t work.

What I can offer is a zip of the GeoJSON with the images. GeoJSON is actually a much better standard compared to KML, and it’s already supported in all desktop GIS apps and hopefully it’ll get some more traction in mobile apps.

1 Like