Protecting my maps so they are not shareable

Preparing a custom map with many items and Groups is huge task in terms of effort & time.

I will be creating a map that caters for a section of people that will find it extremely useful. I would like to share publicly on my website, but at the same time I do not want my hard work to be copied by others by using the ‘share’ option.

I just want everyone to view my map but not to copy/share/embed my map.

Is there a way to remove/disable the share button please on public maps.

Thanks HESW

2 Likes

Hi Hesw,

I can see your point! Do you also want to disable embedding, or it’s enough if just the file downloadings are disabled?

1 Like

Yes ideally also disable embedding, but the file downloading would be a good start :slight_smile:
Thanks

@hyperknot is disabling the share button on my map going to be possible, please?
Thanks

Hi HEST, yes it’ll be possible, I’m working on it. It’ll be possible to disabled embedding and downloading.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant, thanks :smiley: Appreciate you taking the time to work on this :+1:

Hello ! Newcomer I join the request; I like that it can be embedded in my website but NOT that you can download a massive KML or GPX to avoid abuse of my work for years. Thanks !

I understand the need. I’ll make an “Advanced Settings” widget, where all the recently requested features will be supported:

• enable/disable embedding
  • enable/disable downloading
  • restrict map to given boundaries
  • make map start in a view

For a start. Later these will be extended.

2 Likes

Hi, any news about when the “advanced settings” widget with the mencioned options will be operative?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, the disable embedding and disable downloading options have been implemented now.

There is a new dialog called “Advanced Settings” where you can configure these. Later on that dialog will feature more and more options.

Please report back how it works for you, or if anything is broken.

Markers%20and%20Images%20by%20hyperknot%20%C2%B7%20MapHub%202019-03-06%2000-08-24

2 Likes

That’s great, thanks for taking the time to create the “Advanced Settings” feature. I have just had a look :smiley:
Question - as asked in my original post; I want to have my map displayed on my website, but do not want others to copy/share/embed my map elsewhere. The ‘Disable download’ is great thanks, but if the ‘Disable embed’ is checked, the map is no longer available on my website - how can I still have my map displayed and just stop others using/embedding it please?

Hi, I see your point. I can make it so that only the button is hidden but the embedding is still working, if that’d be better.

Do you mean hide the ‘Share’ button if others are viewing the map in MapHub? Yes I guess that would be better, as I want to embed the map on my site, but don’t want others to be able to share it. no button=no sharing :wink:

Yes, I can make it so that only the owner can see the “Embed on Website” button. Exactly like now, if you change those settings then that button disappears, but now it’s doing it for everyone, owner and public.

1 Like

Excellent work, I see a promising future to this application. Thanks.

@HESW I made the changes you recommended, can you check it out?

1 Like

That’s brilliant thanks :smiley: - seems to have done the job :+1:
I think there will be many people who will find this feature really helpful :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, and I agree, this was an important feature to add!

1 Like