Google Maps Basemap w/ Personal G-Maps API Key

Hi Zsolt! (and anyone else reading this)

I know I talked a little about using google maps as a Basemap, and you mentioned that the API Costs too much. However, I think that per person, we are allowed 15,000 visits for free per month. Would it be possible for users to import their own Google Maps API key, and use it just for their maps? Then if they are getting too many queries, It’s their responsibility, and it’s on a per map basis, not for the entirety of maphub. I know that some other services do this, and It seems like a really good solution, so people can use the highest quality data, without costing the Dev a penny.

Let me know what you think of this idea, or if it’s even implementable.

Best,
Eliot

Hi Eliot!

Price is not the problem, as we could allow individual users to sign up for API keys. The problem is that Google Maps explicitly forbids using their map data with any non-Google client in their ToS. It is totally a restriction in their ToS, nothing else.

Zsolt

Huh, that’s really interesting. What about other mapping products (AtlistMaps.com, SnazzyMaps.com, scribblemaps.com, place.guru, etc.) How are they using the google maps API?

I see a clause that says

Sublicense a Google API for use by a third party. Consequently, you will not create an API client that functions substantially the same as the Google APIs and offer it for use by third parties.

However isn’t that just for APIs?

Sorry for all the questions, not trying to correct you here, just curious :slight_smile:

They are either using the Google Maps client or a technical hack or are against the ToS.

Ah, Makes sense. Thanks!